I’m always looking for a good recipe that my family will love and comes together quickly, this one hits the spot!
Pasta is always a fan favorite. The Italian sausage packs the flavor and using a chicken variety helps cut fat and calories. Adding Spinach sneaks in a little more nutrients.
I always like to use fresh herbs if I have them on hand or if it’s garden season. If you don’t have fresh herbs then dry Italian Seasoning will work too!
Serve this dish with a salad and garlic bread and you’re good to go!
What you need:
- About 1/2 box of Large Pasta Shells (a little over)
- Large jar of Marinara or other pasta sauce of your choice
- 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (plus a little more to sprinkle on top.)
- 1 lb raw Italian Chicken Sausage (bulk or casings removed)
- 5 oz Fresh Spinach
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh Chopped Basil
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chopped Oregano
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350
- Put a pot of water on high heat for boiling pasta
- Set sauté pan to medium high heat and add about a tsp of Olive Oil
- Add Italian sausage and brown
- Add spinach and cook while stirring frequently
- Once water is boiling add pasta and cook according to packaging
- After spinach has wilted remove pan from heat
- When pasta is done drain and cool under cold running water
- In a mixer bowl with paddle attachment or large bowl add ricotta, Parmesan, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt + pepper, and sausage mixture, mix well
- Add egg to the mixture and mix in for about 15 seconds
- Fill shells and place in sprayed baking pan
- Top with jar of sauce
- Top with Mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cover and bake for about one hour or until bubbly and heated through